Posted on
Image credit:

DIY MFA – Storytelling Superpower Quiz

Result: The Protector

Your superpower is writing superheroes! Your favorite characters see their world in danger and will do whatever it takes to protect it and those they love in it. These characters may not wear spandex and capes, but they show almost superhuman fortitude in their quest to prevent disaster, whatever the cost to themselves. From Scarlett O’Hara to James Bond to I̶r̶o̶n̶ ̶M̶a̶n̶, [Captain America] you’re drawn to characters who stand up to the forces of evil and protect what they believe in.

This result feels like “frequency illusion” at play. At first, I didn’t quite know what to make of this. It’s just that 90% of what I write about is about me and stuff I’ve done or gone through. The other 10% is about stuff I like. About 1% of everything I write these days is about superheroes, oddly (?) enough. But is writing about me and the stuff I like really like writing about standing up to “the forces of evil” and protecting what I believe in?
In a roundabout way, it is. Well, kind of, but not really. I write what I write because Roxane Gay, Alana Massey, Rebecca Solnit and Mary Karr wrote what they wrote. I’m writing every day trying to save my own life because Steve Rogers, Wonder Woman, Jessica Jones and Natasha Romanoff showed me how to keep fighting and to do what’s right even when it’s not easy.
If I’m not writing about a superhero, I’m certainly guided by them. Guided by these heroes and my unshakable and sustained belief that:
“Bucky will be heroic. He might not be a good guy, but he’ll be heroic.”
who the hell is bucky
This post is the third writing prompt for the DIY MFA Book Club

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *